Human Resources Manager
Join an established and award-winning team at Binary Stream Software! We are ranked as one of BC Business Magazine’s “Fastest Growing Software Companies” and one of the 2018 “Top 100 Tech Companies in BC” by Business in Vancouver!
We are a gold-certified Independent Software Vendor for Microsoft, creating add-on solutions to enhance the accounting capabilities of Microsoft Dynamics ERP, which sell through a loyal channel of Value-Added Resellers. With Binary Stream solutions, organizations facing complex accounting challenges can achieve Tier 1 ERP capabilities without upgrading or adding additional accounting staff. We not only help make critical business processes scalable and easier to manage, but allow for hundreds of thousands of dollars in savings in the process. Our solutions have been a key element in the Microsoft Dynamics ERP ecosystem for decades. At Binary Stream, we know that achieving these results takes a world class team. Our competitive advantage is, and always will be, our people. Our culture is value and result driven. We follow lean and agile principles in our everyday work areas to help us continuously improve, create meaningful and challenging work opportunities and meet our growing business demands.
We are in the process of scaling-up and plan to take our growth to another level and, as part of this plan, we have an exciting opportunity for a HR Manager to join our Management Team!
The Human Resources Manager leads the development of Human Resources strategies that align with Binary Stream’s company culture, core values, mission, and goals. The HR Manager has overall responsibility and oversight for all Human Resources functions including full-cycle recruitment, employment contracts, onboarding/orientation, performance measurement and management, compensation & benefits, HR policy development, employee relations, employee engagement & retention, health, wellness & safety, and learning & development.
The HR Manager provides functional expertise and hands-on leadership to the HR team. The HR Manager partners with leaders across the organization to help teams in their planning and achievement of the collective organizational goals. Acting as an in-house HR advisor to all staff and management is a critical function to this role.
The ideal candidate will be a dynamic HR professional that can manage a fast-paced, growing company, with the ability to attract and retain the best talent in the Vancouver technology sector. The HR Manager has played a significant role in the success of Binary Stream and the company wants this to continue.
Reporting and Peer Relationships: Reporting to the Director of Finance, but working closely with the CEO, the HR Manager leads a team of 3: an HR Coordinator/Specialist, Office Administrator, and an HR Executive in our India office.
Human Resources & Programs:
- Create and maintain events and programs that promote the Company’s culture
- Develop and analyze metrics/data related to employee satisfaction, employee skills and development
- Oversee the creation of complex employee communications
- Manage the complete gamut of HR programs and responsibilities for India offshore centre by providing support, coaching and direction to the HR executive in India (Chandigarh) to drive HR initiatives
- Attract and recruit high-caliber candidates using recruitment tools/strategies that effectively identify core competencies, and the technical skills required of the position
- Manage full-cycle recruitment including writing job descriptions and advertisements, conducting telephone pre-screens, interviews, facilitating employment testing, reference checking and preparing job offers
- Develop strategies to increase the brand awareness and to help attract talent through job fairs, events, social media, etc.
Employee Engagement and Retention:
- Identify risk areas related to employee retention and advise Leadership team on how to mitigate these risks
- Oversee the Company Events calendar to organize social days, theme days, sports events and annual company events like Company Day, Summer Picnic, and Annual Staff Dinner
- Create a culture of fun & engagement to help team bonding and overall retention
- Facilitate and conduct Lunch & Learns, training sessions, workshops on various topics/HR initiatives
- Co-chair the Health & Safety committee and work with a team to develop various wellness and emergency preparedness programs to increase wellness and safety in the workplace
- Promote a culture of continuous feedback and recognition through the Company’s recognition policy
- Conduct and evaluate exit interviews and team-member check-ins for trends
- Oversee the full employee lifecycle and all programs and processes that support the teams
- Support leaders to create growth opportunities for team-members by creating actionable development plans
- Manage the performance appraisal process including check-ins, probationary reviews, stay interviews and annual reviews
- Work with employees and managers to complete various performance reviews as per timelines
- Work with managers and employees to create action plans for employees requiring development
- Manage the performance appraisal process linked to competency models and technical skills for all employees
- Coach managers and executives on how to handle difficult, sensitive and confidential employee issues, including performance improvement planning (PIP) challenges
- Conduct job analysis, as required, and work closely with managers and employees in creating and reviewing job descriptions
- Maintain compensation best practices for new hires and annual company-wide reviews
- Analyze competitive market research and prepare compensation analysis to support employee attraction and retention
- Participate in salary surveys to maintain competitiveness
- Create and distribute Quarterly & Annual Goals & Objectives
- Lead the calculation & review of Quarterly and Year-End bonus results
Employee Relations & Strategic Partner:
- Write and develop Binary Stream Software’s HR policies and procedures, working in collaboration with staff at multiple levels
- Act as a confidential sounding board for all members of management and staff and provide general feedback to the President & CEO
- Advise and conduct the termination process, preparing severance packages in accordance with the BC Employment Standards Act
- Advise the Leadership team on all issues related to Employment Standards, Human Rights Legislation and other related applicable laws
- Create and execute the annual HR strategic goals consistent with the company plan
- Lead all administration initiatives for the office which includes office management, hardware inventory,travel coordination, managing kitchen & snacks budgets, supplies and furniture
- Work with the office administrator to provide timely guidance to achieve the monthly and quarterly administration goals
- In consultation with the leadership team, enhance, develop and deliver employee development and succession plans that align with the Company’s strategic plan that are consistent with industry best practices
- Strategize and creating growth and development plan company-wide to help create career roadmaps
- Strategize and create succession plans for various departments
Creating Best Practices and Increasing Scalability:
- Develop best practice recruitment tools such as customized telephone screens, behavioral-based interview guides, employment tests and reference forms
- Identify and implement a 3rd party HRIS system
Leading and Managing:
- Lead HR & Culture branding initiatives on social media, e.g. Glassdoor, Instagram and participate in various awards to help the company strengthen the external branding as Employer of Choice
- Support and advise the leadership team on HR matters
- Act as a mentor to help your team reach their potential
- Expert knowledge in employment contracts/law; interpret and develop employment contracts in relation to applicable HR legislation, Human Rights code, EI legislation, WorkSafe BC.
- Intermediate to Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office products – Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and Internet Explorer
- Experience with recruiting techniques using social media and internet
- Strong presentation skills
- Experience developing and delivering training workshops
- Strong recruiting and interviewing skills (behavior based interviewing techniques)
Other Skills Required:
- Ability to maintain utmost level of confidentiality and professionalism in dealing with employee discussions, compensation data, employment offers, terminations and performance issues
Education and Experience:
- University degree in related field (Commerce with HR focus, Psychology) or Diploma or Human Resources Management
- 5-7 years of progressive HR experience
- 2 years working in a HR manager/leadership capacity, within a high tech industry is preferred
- Previous experience working in a 50 to 100 employee company that has experienced growth would be considered an asset
- Previous experience at the strategic level and day do day HR activities – approximately 20 to 30% of time spent on strategic projects for the company, and the balance on day to day HR activities
- Member of a HR Professional Association (HRMA, HR Tech) is an asset
What We Offer:
A great place to work.
You will be challenged to achieve, grow and develop but will laugh often and share many team outings and meals throughout the year. Join our running club, soccer team, basketball team or volleyball team. You can try to beat the CEO in the Sun Run. Foodies will enjoy the regular potlucks, pizza days and picnics, and for those outdoors people, there’s the occasional hike, skiing or canoeing day too.
Binary Stream offers competitive compensation including a comprehensive benefits package with full health and dental benefits, an RRSP Program with matching DPSPs, and a tuition assistance program.
Binary Stream values our employees and has created a flexible and friendly work environment where our employees can succeed and grow into their next roles. We are team-driven, collaborative, and accountable to one another.
Join Our Team:
Qualified candidates are invited to send a cover letter and resume to our HR Team. Apply here to upload your cover letter and resume in one file.
Note that due to the volume of applications we receive, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. No recruitment agencies please.
Applicants under consideration will be required to undergo a Criminal Records Search and an Education Verification.